Tuesday, June 19, 2012

132 Roman Soldiers


What's the ad for?
132 Roman Soldiers. Two complete armies!
Year
1981
Spotted in...

The Scoop
This ad was featured prominently in back of comic books from the 60s to the early 80's. The art was by Russ Heath. Below is what Heath had to say about the ad in an interview featured at wtv-zone.com

A lot of people didn't know I did them because they didn't want them signed.  I did have a small "RH" on the lower left hand corner of the Revolutionary soldiers and I don't remember about the Roman soldiers.   Then they would blame me, I'd never seen the damned things, because they're like a bas relief or whatever they call it.  They're not fully formed, not three dimensional.  It would be flat things that were shaped a little and the kids felt gypped and they figured that it was my fault.
A lot of kids were disappointed with these toy soldiers. I guess it's another four color promise that never lived up to it's expectations.

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Comic Blog Elite