Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Fantastic Four chewing gum


The past six months or so I've been reading X-men staring from #94. I've been reading the issues in the form of the Essential X-men series.  The Essential series are black and white reprints of famous Marvel titles. They collect over 20 issues at an affordable price. They of course have no ads. In my opinion that's a good thing and a bad thing. These fantastic stories are timeless (at least when Dazzler or Storm as a punk) so it`s the advertisements in the issues that can tie them to their respective era. Plus they`re fun! As I`m reading issues 170 +, I've left the Essential volumes behind in favor of the single issues I have in my collection. The above ad is from Uncanny X-men 170, 1983. Fantastic Four chewing gum? It`s Bubble Blowin' Time!?? Really?

Sure, comics have been from the start a way to drive newspaper sales and used to sell products. (remember all those Superheroes hawking Twinkies?). It`s still pretty funny to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Comic Blog Elite