Monday, January 17, 2011

Model Builders Club

 
Lets face it, kids these days are not into building scale models. They are into video games, cell phones and doing stupid things. Okay, maybe that's not entirely true as teens have always been into doing stupid things. However, in these modern times with so many distractions what would you rather do? Play the newest racing game or huff glue fumes and tiny plastic car parts. When was the last time you saw a kid building a model car or plane? This ad above is out of G.I. Joe #23 from 1984.

This club sounds pretty cool. I wish I could have joined the Young Model Builders Club. Although I probably would have just ended up blowing them all up with firecrackers like I did with the few models gifted to me during my youth. I even blew up a Huey Helicopter that I put so much time and effort into building. I even heated up a pin, pressing it against the plastic giving the appearance of bullet holes. I poured my small ten year old heart into that model, but alas the allure of firecrackers and making things explode was too much...

I believe the club started out in Readers Digest as far back as the early 1960's. The club apparently holds found memories for a lot of people. However like the age demographic of the average comic book reader (25-40...just a guess), scale model builders are probably of an even older age bracket.


Below is picture of two of the kits from back in the day from the www.goantiques.com website...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Comic Blog Elite